How to Resist Junk Food Cravings
Junk food cravings are a dieter’s worst nightmare. Sometimes, these cravings for unhealthy foods and sugar can be so intense and uncontrollable. They can really sabotage an individual’s weight loss program.
Fortunately, at Bardisa Medical Center, we have some tips and tricks for resisting junk food cravings, so you can stop eating unhealthy food in order to continue on your weight loss journey.
Tips for Resisting Junk Food Cravings
Here are six tips for resisting junk food cravings so you can live younger longer and achieve your weight loss goals:
- Drink more water: Sometimes our hunger cues are confused with thirst. If you feel like you have an uncontrollable food craving, try drinking a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. It’s more than likely that your food craving will vanish.
- Go for a walk: Exercise is key in any weight loss program and has also been shown to reduce junk food cravings. If you have a sudden urge for a sugary snack, try going for a short walk around your neighborhood. Chances are good by the time you come back your craving will go away.
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep can make you reach for the wrong type of food. Studies show that sleep deprived people are 55% more likely to become obese. Getting a good night’s rest is key to preventing cravings.
- Fight Stress: Are you a stress eater? Stress may induce food cravings for sugary or salty food that have no nutritional value. In fact, women under stress have been shown to eat significantly more calories than non-stressed women. Try fighting stress with meditation, yoga, or exercise.
- Eat Balanced Meals Regularly: When our bodies get extremely hungry, it can be easy to reach for anything in sight. Many times, this means grabbing for a candy bar or other junk food snack from the vending machine. Plan your meals and snacks ahead and bring healthy options such as fruit or nuts in your bag to eat throughout the day.
- Get support: A friend, partner, or family member may be able to hold you accountable in your weight loss journey. Don’t be afraid to look for a support system in order to reach your weight loss goals.
Contact Bardisa Medical Center to Begin your Weight Loss Journey
Bardisa Medical Center in the Miami-Dade metro area specializes in several weight loss program to help patients achieve their weight loss goals and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Dr. Bardisa works with her patients to develop individualized plans designed for their unique body composition. If you are ready to start your weight loss journey, contact Dr. Bardisa at Bardisa Medical Center by calling us at 305-661-2002 or filling out our online form. We look forward to helping you live younger longer!